I was so excited as I pulled in the driveway from work last night. I made a great dinner, and was heading to a secret place to get scrapbook "embellishments!" I couldn't wait to go! I left with my neighbor and walked into a HEAVEN for scrapbookers.
On my way home I was so thrilled at everything I had bought for so little. I then got a call on my cell phone from Luke, "When will you be home?" Now this was a normal question, I told him in about 20 minutes. Then I get a call right before we turn into the neighborhood and he says, "When will you be home? Did you go to Coborns today?", I said, Yes, Why? Luke went on to tell me that the bottle of Loratadine (generic brand of clariton) had been eaten up, destroyed by my dogs. Now this isn't uncommon for them to destroy something that was left on the counter, but a whole bottle of 30 pills, 10 milligrams each, yeah, not so good for a dog. By the time I walked in the door Luke was already on the phone w/ the Veterinarian Toxicologist. He got off the phone and they told us what we needed to do........We needed to induce vomiting on both dogs since we didn't know which actually ate the pills. My dad went online and read that if a human consumes that much Loratadine your Kidneys can start to shut down. So needless to say after I heard that I was a little nervous. My dogs only weigh 50 and 60 pounds!
We were instructed to give the dogs bread and then proceeded to use a baby nose picker thing (thanks Erica for letting us borrower it) and give them each 3 tablespoons of Hydrogen Peroxide. Weird, I know. So we did this and then walked them. If that didn't work we were supposed to give them both more peroxide. Well first 20 minute walk around the block neither of them had thrown up. So we gave them more peroxide. Then I walked them again, finally Sadie did her thing. It was not pretty. (Sorry to gross you out!) Hogan still wouldn't, so I called the Toxicologist back and she said to give him more, so I did, then I walked him again. Finally as I was on the phone w/ my neighbor telling her the story, Hogan threw up. He came to me with this sad look on his face, I felt SO bad that I had to make them do that. I called the Toxicologist again and she said that I needed to monitor their heart rates for the next 4 hours and if their heart rates went below a certain # or above I had to bring them into the emergency vet. We went to bed and I woke up monitoring their heart rates. They seemed ok. Finally at 3:30am I woke up and was warm because Hogan was snuggling right next to me, poor puppy. I took them down to their kennels to find that Hogan had thrown up 2 times in his kennel. So there I am in my pj's turning on lights at 3:30am cleaning up vomit. NOT FUN!
I finally got everything cleaned up and got back into bed and was frickin WIDE AWAKE!!!! I layed there feeling guilty for putting them back in their kennels, afraid if something would happen to them and I would be upstairs sleeping. I finally fell asleep and woke up late and was a little late to work. Sorry for the long story, but that was definitely a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very BAD NIGHT! And yes, the dogs were ok this morning. Thankfully we only spent $60 to speak to a Toxicologist over the phone rather then having to get their stomachs pumped and spend God knows how much!
2 comments:
Poor puppies!! We had to do that to our puppies after they both got into chocolate brownies!!! It is NO fun and you feel SO bad! Love you!
What an effin nightmare! Dog puke is THE WORST. Nasty.
Post a Comment